Peralta District PTA encompasses all of Alameda County and is one of 29 PTA districts that make up the California State PTA. Peralta District PTA serves nearly 150 PTAs, about half of which are in the 6 PTA councils (of Alameda, Berkeley, Fremont, Pleasanton and San Lorenzo) and the other half in PTA units in the cities of Albany, Castro Valley, Hayward, Livermore, Newark, Oakland, San Leandro, and Union City.
Mission Statement: The mission of the California State PTA is to represent our members and to empower and support them with skills in advocacy, leadership, and communication to positively impact the lives of all children and families.
Submitting paperwork in a timely manner is a sign of a unit in good standing, a unit that is functioning well. Know what must be submitted to your council or district.
2013-2014 Calendar for Units and Councils in Peralta District
Be ahead of the game - plan ahead for important dates and events!
2014-2015 Rosters of Officers:
Since it’s so important for us to be able to share information and resources with officers, we hope you will make sure that we have a complete roster as soon as possible after your PTA’s elections. The form may be emailed or mailed; directions are on the form. Please do not modify the numbers and positions of columns.
Click here to download a PTA Officer Roster 2014-2015 Excel file.
Our Executive Board meetings are open to officers of the district, presidents of councils, area representatives, chairmen of standing committees, the immediate past president, and all California State PTA and National PTA officers and chairmen residing in the district. Our Association meetings are open to all PTA members. Meetings are generally held at the Alameda County Office of Education at 313 West Winton Avenue in Hayward from 7:00-9:00pm. Any changes in dates or locations will be publicized in our monthly newsletter and on the web site.
Information on Proposed CAPTA Dues Increase
- It’s been 18 years since the State PTA portion of membership dues has been increased. What $1 could buy in 1996 (the date of our last membership dues increase) now costs $1.48 to purchase, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Each year, California State PTA has tightened the fiscal belt a little bit tighter, but we have now reached the point where a membership dues increase is essential for our association to continue to provide necessary services to our local PTAs.
- Since 1996, as the value of the dollar has been shrinking, California State PTA has carefully cut costs so that we can continue to offer a wide scope of resources, programs and services to our PTA units, councils and districts, including:
- Programs-in-a-Box, packaged parent and family education programs;
- Member Perks, benefits and discounts for our members;
- Premier art and parent engagement programs such as the Reflections Art Recognition Program and School Smarts;
- Scholarship monies available to high school seniors, volunteers and school staff;
- Grant monies for your PTA for programs, activities and events;
- Respected and influential advocates in Sacramento and Washington D.C. speaking on your behalf on issues you care about;
- At-your-fingertips information on our website;
- Publications and communications to members and member leaders;
- Counterpart support and training for PTA leaders;
- PTA EZ, our financial accounting and reporting system available to local PTAs at low cost;
- Tax-filing and CT number assistance;
- Online officer contact system;
- Affordable insurance coverage--$1,000,000 liability, $15,000 bonding--for your PTA and events;
- Governance documents including the Toolkit and bylaws;
- Field services such as sending state leaders into your area for training and events.
For more information on why State PTA leaders feel that a dues increase is necessary, please click here for statistics and information on this recommendation.
Report Due Dates
Submit your reports by area to the following PTA Financial Area Officers:
cakwca [at] comcast [dot] net
|New Haven, San Leandro, Livermore, Albany|
susan [dot] nathan [at] comcast [dot] net
|Berkeley Council, Newark|
susan [dot] nathan [at] comcast [dot] net
|Pleasanton Council, Hayward, Castro Valley|
nancyrm [at] mac [dot] com
|Fremont Council, San Lorenzo Council|
susan [dot] nathan [at] comcast [dot] net
|Alameda Council, Oakland|
|Officer Roster||By the September meeting|
|Annual Financial Report||By the September meeting|
|Approved Budget||By the September or October meeting|
|Year-End Audits||By the September meeting|
|Copy of IRS/FTB Tax Returns||By November 15th|
|Unit and Council RRF-1 Forms||By November 15th|
|Workers Comp form without surcharge
(accompanies insurance form)
|By December 6th|
|Workers Comp form with surcharge||By January 15th|
|Mid-Year Audits||By the January or February meeting|
|Annual Historian Reports||By the May meeting|
Financial Due Dates
If you are located in the following areas, you are part of a Council and must contact your Council Treasurer for due dates: Alameda, Berkeley, Fremont, Pleasanton, and San Lorenzo. Your Council Treasurer must submit these items to your Financial Area Officer (see table above) by the dates below. For a complete list of Units in Council, please click here.
If you are a unit in the following areas, Albany, Castro Valley, Hayward, Livermore, Newark, Oakland, and San Leandro*, you must submit the items to your Financial Area Officer (see table above) by the due date below. (* With several exceptions. See list of Units Out Of Council.) Click here to download any necessary forms.
End of Year Financial Report for 2012-2013
Membership Dues (Per Caps) – need at least 30 members to qualify for "Ready Set Remit" award (send to Financial Secretary)
IRS Forms 990EZ or 990 due to the IRS for PTAs grossing over $50,000 the previous fiscal year. IRS Form 990-N must be filed electronically by PTAs grossing under $50,000 the previous fiscal year.
FTB Form 199 due to the FTB (State of California) for PTAs grossing over $50,000 the previous fiscal year. FTB Form 199-N must be filed electronically be PTAs grossing under $50,000 the previous fiscal year.
Attorney General form RRF-1 due to Attorney General's office by November 15th.
First required remittance of membership dues (per caps): Every PTA must remit 15 members to remain in good standing. (send to Financial Secretary)
Worker's Compensation Annual Payroll Report due for those who made no payments to independent contractors.
Insurance Late Fee of $25 applies to Insurance Premiums not received to date.
|January 15th||Workers Comp forms and Insurance surcharges due to Peralta District PTA.|
Last day to remit memberships for convention recognition.
Although not a PTA deadline, TAX FORMS ARE DUE NOVEMBER 15th for any PTA with a fiscal year that ends on June 30 (which is true for 99.9% of the Peralta District PTAs). The IRS does send penalty letters to those not filing. Please contact Peralta District immediately upon receiving such correspondence from the IRS. For more information on who must file, see Tax Information.
Additional Due Dates
The following are due dates for receipt by Peralta District for various awards and events.
|December 10, 2013||
Reflections entries due to District Reflections Chair
|January 11th, 2014||Reflections Awards Ceremony
Ruby Bridges Elementary School, Alameda, CA
|February 1, 2014||Senior Scholarships and SPOTLIGHT Awards|
|March 1, 2014||Hearst Award|
|March 3, 2013||Founder's Day and Awards Night|
|May 1, 2014||New Board Roster due to District President|
|May 15, 2014||Annual Reports due to District Historian|
Please Note: These deadlines are for councils and out-of-council units only. Units in a council must follow their council deadlines so that their council can meet these Peralta deadlines. Any other deadlines mentioned in mailings from State and National PTA are deadlines for districts, not for units and councils.
The TOOLKIT is the resource guide / manual of the California State PTA. It will not be sent in the 2013 service mailing. The 2011 Toolkit should be passed on with other PTA materials during the transition to a new president. The Toolkit is available to all officers and chairman on CD in both English and Spanish. Click here to order this CD from the California State PTA: www.capta.org under "Resources." You can also download the whole Toolkit from the web site or just the part that you need.
For more information on PTA Basics, please consult the web site:
District and Council Officers
For a list of Peralta District officers and Council presidents, please visit the Officers page.
Council Web Sites
Unit Web Sites
PTA Web Sites
Website Questions or Problems? E-mail the webmaster at: webmaster [at] peraltadistrictpta [dot] org.